[RFC/PATCH 00/11] arm: omap: counter32k rework

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Sep 30 01:22:46 PDT 2015

On Tuesday 29 September 2015 15:43:55 Felipe Balbi wrote:

> the following patches de-obfuscate arch/arm/mach-omap2/timer.c
> and start moving code to drivers/clocksource. So far only counter32k
> has been moved over.
>
> Note that we can't get rid of all the code (yet) because there are
> still platforms relying to legacy boot and because of the strong
> coupling with OMAP's hwmod layer.
>
> This is, for now, an RFC and has be written on top of [1]. Boot tested
> with AM335x and AM437x.
>
> [1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=144354336924308&w=2

Looks very nice!

> ps: if anybody has a good idea on how to get rid of
> register_persistent_clock(), please let me know

I don't think we want to get rid of that, because it is the more
accurate interface. IIRC systems that have an RTC will use
timekeeping_inject_sleeptime64() in rtc_resume(). I don't know however
how the two methods are coordinated, i.e. how the kernel ensures that
exactly one of the two is used, but never both.

	Arnd