mvneta: SGMII fixed-link not so fixed

Stas Sergeev stsp at list.ru
Fri Sep 18 12:38:55 PDT 2015

18.09.2015 20:30, Florian Fainelli пишет:
> On 18/09/15 10:22, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

>>> Arrrr! I was looking at the branch without the last
>>> patch applied, so it occurred to me as
>>>
>>> 	pp->use_inband_status = (phy_mode == PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_SGMII) &&
>>> 		fixed_phy;
>>>
>>> Sorry for that.
>> Yay :)
>>
>>> So we seem to indeed have a nasty regression with the patch
>>> that just went to stable. :( Great news.
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Thanks for you time.
>>>
>>> I still have problems with this part though:
>>> I think I am looking into the right source this time, seems like
>>> if we don't have both but still have managed="in-band-status", that
>>> should go the fixed-link path and still work... no?
>> If we have no fixed-link and no phy, then you're correct.
>>
>> However, I really don't like the idea of abusing "fixed-link" as a
>> method to generate an ethtool/miitool/miidiag compatible output for
>> this, but I'm willing to let that pass for the moment. :)
> It is not just for that, you get all the goodies from the PHY library
> without modifying your Ethernet MAC driver specifically for it:
> phy_connect, adjust_link and phy_ethtool_{set,get}.
But you still need to modify the MAC driver, and in a bit
nasty way. Eg when you want the AN to work right, you
need to do of_phy_find_device() and feed the current AN
settings to fixed-phy manually, or, after phy_connect(), you'll
run with wrong link state for some time (and there is still
a bit of race anyway, as the link state could change between
of_phy_find_device() and phy_connect()).
So I am not sure what would the best API look like, but
my overall impression was it is currently not the one.