mvneta: SGMII fixed-link not so fixed

Stas Sergeev stsp at list.ru
Fri Sep 18 09:04:09 PDT 2015

18.09.2015 18:43, Russell King - ARM Linux пишет:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 05:45:27PM +0300, Stas Sergeev wrote:

>>> They aren't both on the fixed MDIO bus - that's the whole point I'm
>>> making.  They get the same phydev->addr but on _different_ buses.
>>
>> So you have an MDIO phy for which mvneta seems to have
>> use_inband_status==true, correct?
>
> That is one very real possibililty.  Cisco SGMII in-band status is for a
> SGMII PHY to inform the MAC about the properties of the link to which the
> PHY is attached.
>
> So, specifying "managed = in-band-status" along with a real PHY is very
> much a _real_ possibility, as I've previously explained.
>
>> AFAICS if it has use_inband_status==true,
>> then it went through of_phy_register_fixed_link(dn),
>
> That's totally incorrect.  The test for setting use_inband_status in
> mvneta is:
>
>         err = of_property_read_string(dn, "managed", &managed);
>         pp->use_inband_status = (err == 0 &&
>                                  strcmp(managed, "in-band-status") == 0);

Arrrr! I was looking at the branch without the last
patch applied, so it occurred to me as

	pp->use_inband_status = (phy_mode == PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_SGMII) &&
		fixed_phy;

Sorry for that.
So we seem to indeed have a nasty regression with the patch
that just went to stable. :( Great news.
Thanks for you time.

I still have problems with this part though:
> If there's neither a MDIO PHY nor a fixed-link, then the network driver
> fails to initialise the device.

I think I am looking into the right source this time, seems like
if we don't have both but still have managed="in-band-status", that
should go the fixed-link path and still work... no?