[GIT PULL] RPi DT changes due for v4.3

Lee Jones lee at kernel.org
Fri Sep 4 12:23:20 PDT 2015

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015, Eric Anholt wrote:

> Lee Jones <lee at kernel.org> writes:

> >> I'd been talking with Arnd and Florian about the delays in RPi patch
> >> acceptance (Stephen and Lee have limited time to dedicate to 2835), and
> >> Florian suggested me becoming a maintainer and routing patches through
> >> him.  He's been great to work with and has had useful feedback on my
> >> patches.
> >>
> >> I was kind of surprised to see Lee send this pull request -- these
> >> patches had been sitting un-merged for 2 months and pings on irc didn't
> >> get replies, so I thought I was stepping in where the others definitely
> >> didn't have time.  It was also odd to see just these two patches, but
> >> not the actual driver.
> >>
> >> I'm willing to do the merging process for 2835, and if I'm doing so, I
> >> like the idea of feeding it through a more experienced maintainer who's
> >> ready to look at my pull requests whenever, without bothering the main
> >> arm-soc folks.  My goal here, besides my actual job of getting open
> >> source graphics working for Broadcom, is to hopefully push the rpi
> >> foundation toward getting their code merged, so that this hardware fully
> >> works on stock upstream.
> >
> > Apologies for the confusion caused by this pull-request.  After
> > speaking with Florian last cycle the plan was to send the request to
> > him prior to him sending to ARM-SoC; however, I didn't realise how
> > early in the cycle he was going to send that request and I missed the
> > boat.  So rather than miss the cycle, I decided just to send directly
> > to ARM-SoC instead.
> >
> > I do resent the IRQ comment though, as I'm always on IRC during
> > working hours and (unless something has gone wrong) I have a proxy
> > which collects missed messages and replays them back to me, so in
> > theory I shouldn't miss a message.  All messages you've sent to me
> > I've replied to.
> >
> > The Firmware patches wouldn't have ever been part of this set without
> > explicit request/permission from the Maintainer.  So that's why the
> > driver patches weren't part of this set.
>
> For what it's worth, the recent IRC message I was referring to was:

It's in the back-trace buffer provided by ZNC.  No idea why the
notification didn't work.  Fail!

I guess some IRC messages just fall through the cracks.  I do
endeavour to answer all of the pings I'm sent. Sometimes it might just
be worth a re-poke or an email in case something like this happens again.

> Jun 30 14:02:09 <anholt> lag: the rpi tree doesn't have the rpi firmware
> patches you said you applied -- are they somewhere else?
>
> and Stephen Warren had back on June 5th replied to your question about
> who the maintainer was with the analysis (same as I'd done by reading
> MAINTAINERS and the logs).

Ah, so the Firmware SS doesn't have a Maintainer.  Fair point.
Apologies for not collecting them in that case.