[GIT PULL] arm64: Second batch of DTS changes for X-Gene platforms queued for v4.4

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Sat Oct 31 00:22:26 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Duc Dang <dhdang at apm.com> wrote:
> Hi Olof,
>
> On Friday, October 30, 2015, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Duc,

>> > Hi Arnd, Olof,
>> >
>> > I am sorry that I sent this pull request late. But do you still have
>> > some cycle to have this change set pulled into your xgene/dt in
>> > next/dt for 4.4?
>>
>> This is indeed showing up quite late, since the merge window opens in just
>> a couple of days.
>>
>> Can I please ask that you send us a new pull request for this once -rc1 is
>> out,
>> and we'll queue it up for 4.5?
>
> Yes, I realized the merge window start this Sunday too late.
>
> Anyway, do you maintain a general rule like when You expect people send you
> a pull request for the next merge window? For example: the request must be
> before rc6?

The sooner the better. Ideally most code should show up sometime
between rc4 and rc6. After that we will usually take smaller
incremental branches that adds a few patches on top of previous
material.

If you have cross-dependencies with other maintainer trees, for
example due to shared introduced header files, then please try to get
it in early in case we need to coordinate something.

The community as a whole has a self-imposed limit that most material
should be in -next by -rc6, but it's not strictly enforced and is seen
as a guideline.

I think the ARM64 arch maintainers try to get most material in by
-rc4, but they need slightly more bake/test time on their code so
that's understandable.

Arnd gave a presentation about how we run the maintainer tree at this
year's ELC, and I gave one two years ago more around how we organize
our tree. The videos and slides are online and gives a bit of an
overview if you're interested in learning more.

-Olof