Which is better to specify console, "console= " or "stdout-path" ?

Peter Hurley peter at hurleysoftware.com
Wed Oct 28 09:00:01 PDT 2015

Hi Masahiro,

On 10/22/2015 12:20 AM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

>>> As I said in another thread ("serial: earlycon: allow to specify
>>> uartclk in earlycon kernel-parameter"),
>>> stdout-path can pass dev->baud, but not port->uartclk.
>>
>> That's true but I'm not seeing in that thread where you wrote that?
>
> Sorry, I made you confused.  I was talking about the kernel parameter (console=)
> in the thread.
>
>> My replies there were specific to uartclk on the kernel command line,
>> which isn't necessary if the bootloader has already initialized the
>> uart.
>>
>>> It is usually specified "clocks" phandle, but
>>> clk is not ready at the point of earlycon.
>>>
>>> It seems impossible to set up the baudrate even if the options are passed.
>>
>> It's difficult to understand what you're trying to do when I can't
>> see the code you're referring to.  For example, I only recently
>> understood that you're talking about a earlycon implementation
>> that you're working on and not the 8250 earlycon itself.
>
> Sorry again for making you confused.
>
> I was talking both.
>
> Now I am tackling on some ARM board porting.
>

> The board has a pure 8250 family device (compatible = "ns16550a") on it.
>
> In addition, there exist 8250-variant IPs inside the SoC.
> (this is similar to 8250, but slightly different.
> drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_uniphier.c)
>

> What I want to do is:
>   [1] To use  drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_early.c  for the on-board ns16550a.
>   [2] To implement my own EARLYCON_DECLARE() in
> drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_uniphier.c
>

>> If you look at other non-8250 earlycons, you'll see they all ignore
>> the baud rate, on the assumption the bootloader already set it up.
>
> OK, I will do so for [2].
>

>> The 8250 earlycon is a little different because legacy platforms
>> do not initialize the uart.
>

> Make sense.
>
> For legacy platforms, earlycon initializes the uart,
> assuming the hard-coded "port->uartclk = BASE_BAUD * 16"
> is the value.
>

> For embedded boards such as ARM, the boot-loader should initialize the UART
> and the earlycon should preserve it because port->uartclk varies from
> board to board.
> (For example, the ns16550a on my board expects   BASE_BAUD is 1228000,
> but it does not match the one in include/asm-generic/serial.h )

I want to clarify one point: if you have a configuration for which the
earlycon uart is not initialized by the bootloader (or boot prom), then
we can add a way for the ASoC init to set BASE_BAUD. This was done for
the ARC arch, but I would like to use this as a last resort for the ARM
arch.

An example configuration I can envision that would require this solution
is u-boot's so-called 'falcon mode' without devicetree (or boot prom).

Regards,
Peter Hurley