Possible Regression due to c074fef5d36e ("of/platform: Defer probes of registered devices").

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Oct 26 06:23:24 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 01:47:06PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On 26 October 2015 at 12:02, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> > Hi Russell,
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> > <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> >> It's quite obvious from the thread that the on-demand device probing is
> >> *not* going to be merged for 4.4, and so it should not be in linux-next
> >> at all.  Having it in linux-next, it's disrupting people's testing of
> >> the 4.4 merge window material.
> >>
> >> Tomeu, please remove it so people can continue to test material
> >> sheduled for the 4.4 merge window.  Thanks.
> >
> > Unfortunately we'll be stuck with next-20151022 for a while, due to KS...
> >
> > So you're only option is manually reverting
> > commit 138d8b73e6a32aeacd3417106fbf740865da309e
> > Merge: 0f1cba62520b6119 c074fef5d36e1c27
> > Author: Rob Herring <robh at kernel.org>
> > Date:   Thu Oct 15 08:26:41 2015 -0500
> >
> >     Merge branch 'on-demand-probes-for-next' of git://git.collabora.com/git/user
> >
> >     Pull on-demand probing series from Tomeu Vizoso.
> >
> > "git revert 138d8b73e6a32aeacd3417106fbf740865da309e -m 2" and fix
> > the (many) conflicts :-(
>
> It should be easier to just disable CONFIG_DELAY_DEVICE_PROBES. I sent
> a patch that disables it by default here:
>
> https://lkml.kernel.org/g/1445267602-12576-1-git-send-email-tomeu.vizoso@collabora.com

The issue is not about whether it builds or not.  linux-next is an
integration tree.  It exists for several purposes, all centered around
gathering code aimed _solely_ at the next merge window.  Code which isn't
going into the 4.4 merge window should not be in linux-next at the moment.

linux-next exists not only to provide "final" build testing of queued code,
but also to flag up conflicts between git trees.

If code which is not for the next merge window is present in linux-next,
then linux-next can no longer do its job properly: it can no longer provide
a useful source of git conflict warnings.

When a git tree gets accepted into linux-next, Stephen replies with an
email indicating the terms on which the tree is present, which includes
this:

> You will need to ensure that the patches/commits in your tree/series have
> been:
>      * submitted under GPL v2 (or later) and include the Contributor's
>         Signed-off-by,
>      * posted to the relevant mailing list,
>      * reviewed by you (or another maintainer of your subsystem tree),
>      * successfully unit tested, and
>      * destined for the current or next Linux merge window.

The last point is the relevant point here.

according to speedtest.net.