Using CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB with multiple device trees

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Oct 20 01:11:30 PDT 2015

On Tuesday 20 October 2015 06:04:45 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 03:27:15AM +0000, Chris Packham wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We currently have several boards based around the 88f6281 (kirkwood) ARM
> > CPU.
> >
> > The boards all share a kernel image (currently 3.16 based but we're in
> > the process of moving to 4.3). We use the machine id (and some other
> > eeprom type information) to distinguish the boards.
> >
> > We'd like to move to a device tree based model but we're restricted in
> > that updating the bootloaders to a DT-aware u-boot is impractical.
> > CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB allows us to append a device tree but we still
> > need to account for the differences between the boards.
>
> Hi Chris
>
> You might want to look at what Debian does. When installing the
> kernel, it appends the correct DT blob depending on what the current
> running kernel is, to the new kernel image before writing it to the
> boot medium.
>
> Another option is the pxa-impedance-matcher.

Right, pxa-impedance-matcher is indeed meant to solve this. We intentionally
do not support CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB with multiple DT files so we get
people to eventually update their boot loaders to a version that
understands DT.

For modern systems, the part of the boot loader that knows about the
machine ID also knows about the DT.

	Arnd