All OMAP platforms: MMC is broken

Kishon Vijay Abraham I kishon at ti.com
Wed Oct 7 17:46:19 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wednesday 07 October 2015 01:27 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 12:59:29AM +0530, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Sorry, but no.  None of this "mask bugs ... might" crap.  Either they're
>>> bug fixes, or they aren't bug fixes.  This should be a definite decision,
>>> not some vague crap.
>>
>> What I meant is the patches merged by Ulf *did* exposed bugs in device
>> tree (for instance a dt patch caused PBIAS regulator from not being
>> registered) and if those patches are reverted then a future dt breakage
>> might again be not caught.
>
> That makes it even worse then.
>
> What you seem to be saying now is that the old DT files were wrong, and
> you've fixed the DT files up in the latest kernel.  You've also changed
> the kernel in a way to make the old DT files fail.

I'll try to explain the changes that went in MMC driver, PBIAS regulator
driver and devicetree.

******
MMC controller in OMAP platforms uses PBIAS to know when the voltage to
the IO lines are stable. So PBIAS regulator device tree node was added
(as a child node of ocp), CONFIG_PBIAS_REGULATOR was added to
omap2plus_defconfig and code to get and enable pbias regulator was added
in MMC driver. But then error checking in MMC driver wasn't correct. It
was something like this

        reg = devm_regulator_get_optional(host->dev, "pbias");
        host->pbias = IS_ERR(reg) ? NULL : reg;

For *any* errors it just sets pbias to NULL and proceeds normally.

With this code the behavior is same if CONFIG_PBIAS_REGULATOR is either
set or unset. The behavior is same if pbias driver gets probed properly
or not.

******
Then certain modifications were done in devicetree in order to correctly
model users of syscon registers. With this pbias regulator device tree
node was made as child node of scm_conf node.

This resulted in pbias device not being created (fixed by [1]), probe of
pbias regulator driver fails while doing platform_get_resource (fixed by
[2]) and pbias regulator enable was failing (fixed by [3])

[1] -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/7/27/391
[2] -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/4/210
[3] -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/4/205

But even without any of these fixes MMC continued to work because error
checking in MMC driver was not proper.

******
Along with PBIAS fixes, patches were sent to clean-up and fix MMC [4].
With this series MMC fails on real failures like if "pbias-supply"
property is populated in MMC dt node, then MMC driver will fail if it
doesn't get the pbias regulator (which means now if
CONFIG_PBIAS_REGULATOR is not enabled, MMC driver will fail if it finds
pbias-supply property in devicetree node). Since omap2plus_defconfig
already had CONFIG_PBIAS_REGULATOR, it was added for multi_v7_defconfig [5].

However not adding this detail in *Documentation* resulted in MMC
failures and $subject.

[4] -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/8/27/122
[5] -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/3/119

> That's totally unacceptable.  Users have the right to expect that old DT
> files work with later kernels.
>
> It's fine to detect the broken DT files and print a warning, and have
> the kernel fix up the breakage, but it is unacceptable to decide that
> old DT files are broken and to then change stuff to prevent them working
> with later kernels.

No, we didn't break old DT files. We added new compatible string to
handle newer DT [6]

[6] -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/3/51

Thanks
Kishon