All OMAP platforms: MMC is broken

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Mon Oct 5 04:23:04 PDT 2015

* Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> [151001 03:07]:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 11:50:00AM +0200, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> > On 1 October 2015 at 11:33, Russell King - ARM Linux
> > <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> > > It's still broken and untestable.  We're 8 days off it being a full
> > > month worth of failed testing for OMAP3 and OMAP4 platforms.
> > >
> > > I think OMAP and MMC people need to do a post-mortem and work out why
> > > this happened, and how to stop it happening again in the future.
> >
> > You are probably right!
> >
> > I think I should have been more persistent when asking on how to deal
> > with these patches. Typically they should all have gone together via
> > one tree, or we needed a slower way forward keeping changes more
> > standalone.
> >
> > Anyway, according to kernelci.org, which builds and boot my next
> > branch omap3/4 seems to boot now...
> > http://kernelci.org/boot/all/job/ulfh/kernel/v4.3-rc3-27-gf7734d097520/
>
> It continues to fail here.
>
> Okay, sod it, I'm at the point of just not giving a damn about whether
> OMAP3 and OMAP4 boot anymore.
>
> I'm taking all OMAP platforms out of my boot farm.  I'm totally fed up
> with this kind of regression happening.  It's probably some config option
> that someone's recently introduced which defaults to being off, thereby
> breaking the ability for people to move forward without constantly having
> to re-configure.  This is not acceptable.
>
> STOP BREAKING THE KERNEL.

I totally agree, this is unacceptable. And I'm fed up chasing driver
breakage and trying to test everything myself.

If Kihon is not starting to respond to these issues, we better start
reverting some of the MMC patches. And I'd say in the future non-trivial
patches really have to sit in linux next for two weeks before merging.

We have still the omap3 legacy booting issue remaining, and warnings
at least on omap4 overo.

Regards,

Regards,

Tony