All OMAP platforms: MMC is broken

Ulf Hansson ulf.hansson at linaro.org
Thu Oct 1 02:50:00 PDT 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 11:33, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 04:37:56PM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> * Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> [150924 02:04]:
>> > Nightly testing has revealed that both the OMAP3430 LDP and the OMAP4430
>> > SDP fail to boot due to lack of working MMC.  Both platforms fail to
>> > find their rootfs, which is on a SD card.
>> >
>> > The breakage occurred somewhere between trees of September 9th (commit
>> > 4e4adb2f4628) and September 12th (commit b0a1ea51bda4), so during the
>> > merge window.
>>
>> Yes sorry things got messed up in multiple ways :( I've summarized
>> the mess here earlier:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/33911
>>
>> And today commit b9c93646fd5c ("regulator: pbias: program pbias register
>> offset in pbias driver") hit mainline so I'll send a pull request for
>> the related dts change.
>
> It's still broken and untestable.  We're 8 days off it being a full
> month worth of failed testing for OMAP3 and OMAP4 platforms.
>
> I think OMAP and MMC people need to do a post-mortem and work out why
> this happened, and how to stop it happening again in the future.

You are probably right!

I think I should have been more persistent when asking on how to deal
with these patches. Typically they should all have gone together via
one tree, or we needed a slower way forward keeping changes more
standalone.

Anyway, according to kernelci.org, which builds and boot my next
branch omap3/4 seems to boot now...
http://kernelci.org/boot/all/job/ulfh/kernel/v4.3-rc3-27-gf7734d097520/

Kind regards
Uffe