defconfig support for CPU_BIG_ENDIAN arm64 kernel

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Nov 23 14:04:54 PST 2015

On Monday 23 November 2015 13:58:42 Scott Branden wrote:
> For arm64 platforms there is only a single defconfig upstreamed.  This
> builds for Little Endian ARM64 platforms.  So...what about Big Endian?
>
> It seems like we need another defconfig with CPU_BIG_ENDIAN to be
> enabled and built in the upstream kernel.  We need this deconfig to test
> that drivers compile in big endian mode and we have an upstream kernel
> image to run on these systems.
>
> I'm hoping the upstreamed kernel is already being built/tested with the
> arm64 big endian compiler.
>
> If not, perhaps the upstream solution is to continue to use the single
> defconfig we have today and start using scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh
> to add the CPU_BIG_ENDIAN support to generate a big endian defconfig?
>
> Hopefully arm64 is already being compiled and tested for Big Endian and
> I'm missing something?

kernelci.org uses Kconfig fragments to build big-endian kernels with
merge-config.sh

We should probably make it a little more straightforward to do this
with mainline kernels. 'make help' already shows 'kvmconfig', 'xenconfig'
and 'tinyconfig' targets for arm64 that use this. Any suggestions how we
should name and integrate big-endian builds?

	Arnd