next build: 235 warnings 3 failures (next/next-20151117)

David Laight David.Laight at ACULAB.COM
Wed Nov 18 07:57:03 PST 2015

From: Will Deacon [mailto:will.deacon at arm.com]

I was missing the fact that the *(int_type *)&union is always reading
the full union.
The next version of the compiler might decide to barf at the code
that appears to be reading beyond the end of the union.

> > Do all the lda variants zero extend to 64 bits ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so maybe you could use a single 64 bit variable for the result of the read
> > and then cast it to typeof(*p) to get the required sign extension for
> > small integer types.
>
> That was the original proposal from Arnd, but I want this to work with
> structures smaller than 64-bit (e.g. arch_spinlock_t), so that's why
> I decided to follow the approach laid down by READ_ONCE.

That would still be ok.
You'd have something that is effectively:
	_u64 val = *p;
	return typeof(*p)val;
The compiler might mask unsigned values - but it may be able to
determine it isn't needed (which is probably true of your version).
For signed types both versions require the compile sign-extend
the value.

	David