[RFC] ASoC: Add mediatek HDMI codec driver

Philipp Zabel p.zabel at pengutronix.de
Thu Nov 5 07:15:19 PST 2015

Hi Mark,

Am Mittwoch, den 04.11.2015, 12:03 +0000 schrieb Mark Brown:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 12:54:13PM +0100, Philipp Zabel wrote:
>
> > This driver is based on the work of DW HDMI codec driver.
> > It controls mediatek HDMI Tx's audio module, and handles
> > HDMI jack detection by sharing IRQ with HDMI Tx.
>
> How does this relate to all the other HDMI related work that's going on,
> especially around handling of the EDID data?  I'm not seeing anything in
> here that uses the constraints code that Russell added for example.

So I'll use snd_pcm_hw_constraint_eld.

> As I keep saying I really want to see some collaboration and consensus
> here with the goal of sharing code and achieving a consistent userspace
> interface rather than a lot of individual independently implemented
> drivers.

For eld updates and jack handling I could try to go forward with
Russell's notification prototype from the "[RFC,V2,0/5] another generic
audio hdmi codec proposal" thread:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7339011/

Or are you saying there shouldn't be a Mediatek specific HDMI sound
driver at all and this should be handled by generic code?

regards
Philipp