Master-aware devices and sideband ID data

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Mon May 11 02:52:36 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 08:30:00PM +0100, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Will Deacon <will.deacon at arm.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 06:49:32PM +0100, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> >> The FSL LS2085A SoC has an actual RID->SID mapping table in the PCI
> >> controller, but it is not static in the sense of fixed in hardware or
> >> firmware.  It's
> >> a programmable mapping table, and we envision Linux programming this table.
> >
> > Ok, so I assume you're not planning to use ACPI with this system?
>
> Not initially, but perhaps in the future.  I guess I don't know the implications
> to ACPI yet.

Well, I suggest you take a look at the IORT spec[1] asap, because I don't think
it can describe your system if you want to go in the direction of dynamic
mappings.

> > Also, we can't just program this table willy-nilly, as I'm sure you're
> > aware. For example, updating a the SMRs in a live SMMU is a big no-no,
> > so although Linux may initialise the table, it can only be safely changed
> > at device init/teardown time, surely?
>
> Correct.  That would not be updated when a device is live.

Ok, so the best way for Linux is probably to abstract this in the bus code
and have that allocate the IDs when a device is `hotplugged' on. This would
also fit well with consolidating the group creation for platform and PCI
devices.

Will

[1] http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.den0049a/DEN0049A_IO_Remapping_Table.pdf