ARM, earlyconsole and io mapping

Peter Hurley peter at hurleysoftware.com
Mon Mar 30 16:31:42 PDT 2015

Hi Robert,

On 03/30/2015 08:05 AM, Robert Jarzmik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how the earlyconsole was supposed to work in order to add
> support to the pxa architecture. More specifically, I don't understand how the
> memory mapping is supposed to be available at the early parameters parsing.
>
> The thing I don't understand is that :
>  - in kernel initialization, parse_early_param() is called before
>    machine_desc->map_io()
>  - as a consequence, the architecture didn't add the vm early mapping for serial
>    peripheral (which is added in pxa_map_io())
>  - as a consequence, earlycon_map() will fail to map the serial MMIO
>    (as in stack showed in [1])
>
> Therefore, are there non-DT earlycon users on the list, and could they tell me
> what way they get earlycon support in their arm boards please ?

Fixmap support has not been upstreamed yet, but if you're desperate, here's
the latest patch version:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2015-January/318372.html

If you're using /chosen/stdout-path, earlycon gets turned off at dummy
VT console load, so for right now, specify your earlycon and consoles on the
command line.

Regards,
Peter Hurley