arm64 kexec hang

Pratyush Anand panand at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 14:11:53 PDT 2015

Hi Geoff,

On Friday 27 March 2015 10:53 PM, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Hi Pratyush,
>
> On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 15:55 +0530, Pratyush Anand wrote:
>> So with following changes kexec load seems to complete without any
>> error. However, kexec reboot does not work yet, Nothing after bye
>> message :( (1st kernel booted with maxcpus=1)
>
> 'Bye!' doesn't mean much, other than the first kernel has
> almost shutdown.  I recommend for debugging you either define
> ARM64_DEBUG_PORT for the kexec-tools build, or have a suitable
> earlyprintk= on the kernel command line.  See the read_sink()
> routine in kexec-arm64.c.

Well, I was already using earlycon and it did not print anything after
*Bye*.

I got OCD-H and is able to track the flow atleast and to see when it dies.

So, it all goes like machine_kexec ->..... -> arm64_kexec_kimage_start
-> purgatory_start -> purgatory -> printf ... -> putchar

Here it dies (goes to el2_sync_invalid) as arm64_sink does not seem to
be correct. arm64_sink is (-1) 0xffffffffffffffff. I also tried by just
returning from printf without doing anything, still it goes to
el2_sync_invalid (may be from some other location).

I will try to see tomorrow why arm64_sink is wrong and why did not it
work if printf was null.

just for info: is_hyp_mode_available is true in my case.

~Pratyush