imx6: PCIe imx6_pcie_assert_core_reset() hangs after watchdog reset

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Wed Mar 25 02:39:50 PDT 2015

Am Mittwoch, den 25.03.2015, 10:29 +0100 schrieb Stefan Roese:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently facing a problem in the imx6 PCIe driver. The
> problem happens, after the Linux imx6 internal watchdog has timed-out
> and issues a reset (this is intended, as I'm testing this wdog right
> now). But the next Linux boot hangs in imx6_pcie_assert_core_reset()
> while accessing a register from the PCIe port logic memory:
>
> 		val = readl(pp->dbi_base + PCIE_PL_PFLR);
>
> The watchdog will issue a new reset once it times out again. But
> Linux will hang here the next time as well. Only a power-cycle
> helps. For a test purpose, I've removed the following part from
> this function:
>
> 	if ((gpr1 & IMX6Q_GPR1_PCIE_REF_CLK_EN) &&
> 	    (gpr12 & IMX6Q_GPR12_PCIE_CTL_2)) {
> 	}
>
> Without it, Linux boots up fine. And PCIe also seems to be fully
> functional.
>
> I have to admit that I have no real insight in the imx6 / DW PCIe
> driver. So I'm checking with you experts, if you have any ideas why
> this could be the case? And how this could be solved.
>
> BTW: This happens with v3.19 and v4.0-rc5 on a i.MX6Solo based board
> (TQMa6S SoM). With no PCIe support enabled in the bootloader (U-Boot).

The problem here is that the LTSSM state machine stays in "Link" state
after the WD reset and no configuration of the core can happen in this
state. The path inside the above if clause applies a workaround the get
LTSSM back into the initial state.

As this is a bit racy and not the intended way to do things we only
apply this workaround if we are relatively certain that the PCIe link
had been enabled without a reset to the core before.

So what you are saying is that after the WD reset the GPR registers are
cleared? If so we may need to make the logic to decide when to apply
this WAR a bit smarter.

Generally a lot of those problems can be avoided if you use the WD
output pin and do a proper power-cycle through the PMIC in case the WD
triggers. This will also spare you some pain as soon as you enable CPU
frequency scaling with voltage changes enabled.

Regards,
Lucas

--
Pengutronix e.K.             | Lucas Stach                 |
Industrial Linux Solutions   | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |