Possible regression in next-20150323 due to "ARM, arm64: kvm: get rid of the bounce page"

Nishanth Menon nm at ti.com
Tue Mar 24 09:13:58 PDT 2015

On 09:31-20150324, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 24 March 2015 at 01:45, Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au> wrote:
> > Hi Ard,
> >
> > I have observe what appears to be a build regression in next-20150323
> > caused by 06f75a1f62000 ("ARM, arm64: kvm: get rid of the bounce page").
> >
> > # make
> > arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ld:./arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds:546: syntax error
> >
> > I have observed this using the cross-compiler that is available on kernel.org:
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/4.6.3/
> >
> > # arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc --version
> > arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc (GCC) 4.6.3
> > Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> >
> > # arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ld --version
> > GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.22
> > Copyright 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> > the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
> > This program has absolutely no warranty.
> >

> Hi all,
>
> This is fixed now in next-20150324.
> Sorry for the trouble

I think we now have a new error: (seen with omap2plus_defconfig)
on next-20150324 :
./arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds:677: undefined symbol `__hyp_idmap_size'
referenced in expression
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

cross compiler (from ubuntu 12.04):
$ arm-linux-gnueabi-ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.22
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
$ arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc --version
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

next-20150320 was the last kernel which was successfully built
--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon