XIP_KERNEL and !ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM

Chris Brandt Chris.Brandt at renesas.com
Mon Mar 16 20:48:38 PDT 2015

I've been running XIP_KERNEL with linux-3.14 on a Renesas RZ/A1 (ARCH_R7S72100) for a while now (with some bug fixes of course) so I thought I'd see if my fixes should be pushed back upstream.

However, I see that all the Renesas parts are being moved to ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM, which by means of arch/arm/Kconfig disallows XIP_KERNEL.

Looking back through the mailing list archives I see that there was some discussion on this, but never really a conclusion.

So my question is basically: What is the correct configuration to use XIP_KERNEL with a Renesas SoC? Is the idea that I need to go carve up my own config and do everything outside the normal tree from here on out?

Thanks,
Chris