some question about Set bit 22 in the PL310 (cache controller) AuxCtlr register

Krishna Reddy vdumpa at nvidia.com
Tue Mar 10 10:11:51 PDT 2015

> > b. why "with CMA enabled, it should be safe not to set this bit."
>
> It's not entirely safe either. I guess the assumption is that CMA allocates from
> highmem which is not mapped in the kernel linear mapping.
> However, to be able to flush the caches for such highmem pages, they need
> to be mapped (kmap_atomic() in __dma_clear_buffer()) but there is a small
> window between dmac_flush_range() and kunmap_atomic() where
> speculative cache line fills can still happen.

Even Low mem CMA pages has similar race window as highmem CMA pages.
__free_from_contiguous() in dma-mapping.c maps the CMA Low Mem pages as
 Cached using __dma_remap().
During the subsequent allocation of same CMA low mem pages, the window exist between
__dma_clear_buffer() and __dma_remap() in __alloc_from_contiguous().

--Krishna Reddy