[version 2] amba uarts - arm type uarts fifo size provided by device tree

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Mar 9 05:29:51 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 08:25:19AM -0400, Jorge Ramirez-Ortiz wrote:
> I just confirmed that there are a number of differences on top of the
> fifo size requiring many additional software changes.
> This is not great news since the uart announces itself as vendor_arm
> version 1.

And that is a _very_ bad thing.  The IP is claiming to be created by ARM,
but it isn't - that probably puts this PL011 in a sticky situation from a
legal point of view.  (We've had a CPU which identified itself as an ARM
Ltd ARM926, but it wasn't - the silicon vendor was forced to re-spin their
silicon to change the ID... I wouldn't be surprised if that happens here
too.)

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.