[RFC/RFT PATCH 0/3] arm64: KVM: work around incoherency with uncached guest mappings

Andrew Jones drjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 06:12:12 PST 2015

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:43:02PM +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 4 March 2015 at 13:29, Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas at arm.com> wrote:

> >> Don't worry, that was never the intention, at least not as-is :-)
> >
> > I wasn't worried, just wanted to make my position clearer ;).
> >
> >> I think we have established that the performance hit is not the
> >> problem but the correctness is.
> >
> > I haven't looked at the performance figures but has anyone assessed the
> > hit caused by doing cache maintenance in Qemu vs cacheable guest
> > accesses (and no maintenance)?

I'm working on a PoC of a QEMU/KVM cache maintenance approach now.
Hopefully I'll send it out this evening. Tomorrow at the latest.
Getting numbers of that approach vs. a guest's use of cached memory
for devices would take a decent amount of additional work, so won't
be part of that post. I'm actually not sure we should care about
the numbers for a guest using normal mem attributes for device
memory - other than out of curiosity. For correctness this issue
really needs to be solved 100% host-side. We can't rely on a
guest to do different/weird things, just because it's a guest.
Ideally guests don't even know that they're guests. (Even if we
describe the memory as cache-able to the guest, I don't think we
can rely on the guest believing us.)

drew