PMD update corruption (sync question)

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 21:58:36 PST 2015

Test kernels running with an explicit DSB in all PTE update cases now running overnight. Just in case.

--
Computer Architect | Sent from my #ARM Powered Mobile Device

On Mar 1, 2015 9:10 PM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've pulled a couple of all nighters reproducing this hard to trHi Folks,

I've pulled a couple of all nighters reproducing this hard to trigger
issue and got some data. It looks like the high half of the (note always
userspace) PMD is all zeros or all ones, which makes me wonder if the
logic in update_mmu_cache might be missing something on AArch64.

When a kernel is built with 64K pages and 2 levels the PMD is
effectively updated using set_pte_at, which explicitly won't perform a
DSB if the address is userspace (it expects this to happen later, in
update_mmu_cache as an example.

Can anyone think of an obvious reason why we might not be properly
flushing the changes prior to them being consumed by a hardware walker?

Jon.