Regular oops on shutdown of KVM/ARM64 machines with VGA device

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Tue Jun 30 00:54:02 PDT 2015

Hi Marc,

> Also, care to provide some hints about your kernel configuration?

I believe the relevant parameters are:

CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
# CONFIG_ARM64_64K_PAGES is not set
# CONFIG_ARM64_VA_BITS_39 is not set
CONFIG_ARM64_VA_BITS_48=y
CONFIG_ARM64_VA_BITS=48
CONFIG_KVM_MMIO=y
CONFIG_KVM_GENERIC_DIRTYLOG_READ_PROTECT=y
CONFIG_KVM_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
CONFIG_KVM=y
CONFIG_KVM_ARM_HOST=y
CONFIG_KVM_ARM_MAX_VCPUS=4

the full config is here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GKAaVLYE

> What is the VGA device you mention in $subject?
> A QEMU command line so that we can try and reproduce the issue you're
> seeing?

with qemu 2.3.0:

qemu-system-aarch64 --enable-kvm -M virt -cpu host -vnc :4 -bios
/usr/share/qemu/qemu-uefi-aarch64.bin -m 1G -device VGA

then connecting to the vnc to cause the VGA device to be initialized,
and then simply ctrl-c'ing the qemu process, you'll get this crash
100% of each and every time. If you want additional debug output or
try out something, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide you
with it.

Greetings,
Dirk