[GIT PULL 4/8] clk: tegra: Changes for v4.2-rc1

Michael Turquette mturquette at linaro.org
Sat Jun 20 13:41:04 PDT 2015

Quoting Michael Turquette (2015-06-18 16:41:26)
> Quoting Mikko Perttunen (2015-05-28 00:03:01)

> > > Ok so we should change the framework to allow drivers to only
> > > implement set_rate_and_parent and use that in set_rate and
> > > set_parent implementations if it's the only option available. Or
> > > is there a problem if CCF allows clk_set_parent() on the EMC
> > > clock by calling set_rate_and_parent() with the new parent and
> > > whatever recalc_rate returns for the new parent's rate going into
> > > the clock?
> >
> > There isn't really a problem, but the EMC driver cannot implement this
> > operation sensibly so it would just always return an error if the (rate,
> > parent) pair given to set_rate_and_parent() doesn't exactly match one of
> > the entries specified in device tree.

> > > I'm not following this part. The CCF mostly asks clock providers
> > > what parent should be used when clk_set_rate() is called.
> >
> > Yep, that much is fine; what I was alluding was the above (set_parent
> > and set_rate_and_parent with an unlisted (rate, parent) pair are invalid)

> > > Yes, I've sent a patch a while ago to support an idea of a "safe
> > > parent" or a backup timing that can be used while a clock is
> > > reprogrammed. Mike has also proposed the concept of "coordinated
> > > clock rates" which would do something similar and allow clock
> > > providers to control complicated rate transitions themselves. It
> > > seems that we may be able to use the "safe parent" concept here,
> > > where first we switch to some other parent, call the set_rate*
> > > op, and then switch the parent back if we're not already using
> > > the parent that we should be using.
> >
> > While I'm not sure how much sophistication is warranted in the CCF, for
> > our use case this backup timing has to be able to be a function of the
> > timing we are leaving and preferably also the target timing. Also, as
> > usual, the backup timings are (rate, parent) pairs, and just changing
> > rate or just changing parent are both impossible.
> >

> > > This sort of thing becomes important for things like per-clock
> > > locking where we need to know how the clock tree is going to
> > > change *before* we modify the clock tree. If we go back and forth
> > > between the clock providers and the clock tree while we're in the
> > > middle of making irreversible changes to the hardware, we may get
> > > stuck in a situation where we need to lock more clocks and then
> > > we may need to undo hardware changes.
> > >

> > Yeah, makes sense.
> >
> > Do you think you can still pull this patchset? There's other code in
> > linux-next that depends on it and I'd prefer to have a working driver in
> > the kernel; if/when the improvements to CCF materialize we could update
> > the driver to use them.
>
> I'm not really sure what to do with this PR. This seems to fall into the
> same category as the Exynos "cpu clocks" series: you have a complex
> sequence that requires multiple clock nodes to be changes in a
> coordinated fashion.

I've decided to pull this in the interest of fairness. I'm taking the
Exynos cpu clock patches, which will need to be updated in the future to
use some new infrastructure for coordinating rate changes across
multiple clock nodes. I'm merging the EMC stuff with the same
expectation that it will need to migrate to the new infrastructure when
it becomes available and we'll get rid of clk_hw_reparent.

Sound good?

Regards,
Mike