Linkstation Mini and __machine_arch_type problem, not booting since 3.8

Benjamin Cama benoar at dolka.fr
Thu Jun 18 18:50:24 PDT 2015

Hi Grégory, Andrew and Arnd,

Le jeudi 18 juin 2015 à 10:12 +0200, Gregory CLEMENT a écrit :
> On 15/06/2015 15:51, Benjamin Cama wrote:
> > Also, my intent at first was to try converting this machine to DT, so
> > maybe
> > the solution to my problem would simply be to try converting it and see
> > if it fixes the problem?
>
> Indeed it is your best option given the problem you exposed later in this
> thread. Our plan in mid-term is to completely remove the non-DT support.
> So converting the board is definitely the right thing to do.
>
> The conversation should not be too hard to achieve, you will have mainly to
> write a dts, build a dtb an append it to your kernel.
> You can have a look on waht was done for the LaCie d2 Network platform, see
> 94b0bd366e36379c994bdaa84f 'ARM: orion5x: convert d2net to Device Tree'

OK, I tried following you advice, and copied step by step the dts with
values corresponding to my board.

> If you have any trouble or question during the conversion we will
> help you.

It took several iterations to get done, but attached is the dts I
wrote. Still, it doesn't boot and I get no message after the
decompressor message. But I get something: the leds change according to
the configuration of the dts, so something is going on (I noticed the
change after several failed boot where no led changed and fixing a typo
made it).

My main problem is getting some debug messages: no amount of "debug"
and "loglevel" on the command line seems to change anything. Is it too
early in the boot process to get anything output or am I doing
something wrong? (I activated some configs for debugging, but I may
have missed the good one)

Thanks,
--
benjamin