[RFC/NOT FOR MERGING] HACK: add global/private timers for A9

Mason slash.tmp at free.fr
Thu Jun 4 13:32:40 PDT 2015

On 04/06/2015 22:08, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:46:59AM +0200, Mason wrote:
>> Also, check /proc/timer_list for a "Broadcast device". If you don't
>> define one, the TWD timers are set to periodic mode, with hrtimers
>> disabled.
>
> Did you manage to turn global timer into Broadcast device ?

Disclaimer: I am a kernel noob, take everything I say with
a rock of salt.

As far as I can see, the global timer code doesn't handle
frequency changes, whereas the TWD code does.

Yet all these timers are clocked by PERIPHCLK, which is defined
as CPUCLK / N. So if a platform enables cpufreq, CPUCLK will
vary, meaning PERIPHCLK will vary. I don't see how the global
timer can work in that situation.

cf. also this recent thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.cpufreq/15770

Regards.