[RFC/NOT FOR MERGING] HACK: add global/private timers for A9

Felipe Balbi balbi at ti.com
Thu Jun 4 12:05:10 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:46:59AM +0200, Mason wrote:

> >> Mason was also interested in doing this. See [2]. From what I could tell
> >> back then, commit 904464b91eca8 was working around the local timer APIs that
> >> no longer exist.
> >>
> >> [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/389931/focus=392348
> >
> > A lot of good information on that thread, thanks. Seems like getting
> > twd/global timer working would also have some effect on context
> > switching, perhaps ?
>
> Hello,
>
> In my case, I need to support two platforms:
>
>   single core Cortex A9 MPCore
>     dual core Cortex A9 MPCore
>
> However, as the MPCore moniker implies, even the single core platform
> is "SMP capable". (I think this only means an SCU is available?)
>
> Thus, I worked around the issue by using the same SMP kernel for both
> platforms; which is why I didn't push any patch.
>
> Also, check /proc/timer_list for a "Broadcast device". If you don't
> define one, the TWD timers are set to periodic mode, with hrtimers
> disabled.

Yeah, I have a broadcast device however Linux is picking a gp timer
instead of A9's global timer. Now I think I managed to get Linux to
choose global, but my device won't boot anymore :-p Debugging that. I'm
speculating global timer IRQs aren't firing or aren't wired up properly
on this particular SoC, still to confirm.

--
balbi