Including empty regulator nodes in axp209.dtsi is a BAD idea

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Thu Jan 15 13:57:03 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:42:11AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13-01-15 17:46, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:39:01AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >>Hi ChenYu, Maxime,
> >>
> >>During the review of a few dts files for new boards Maxime asked me to use
> >>axp209.dtsi to avoid the standard axp209 "boilerplate" present in most
> >>boards using the axp209 pmic.
> >>
> >>But axp209.dtsi includes empty regulator nodes, e.g. :
> >>
> >>                 reg_dcdc3: dcdc3 {
> >>                         regulator-name = "dcdc3";
> >>                 };
> >>
> >>This is a BAD idea, the presence of these empty nodes causes the
> >>axp20x-regulator driver to actually register regulators for them,
> >>and then on late_init the regulator subsys turns them off, since
> >>they have absolutely no constraints set (nor users registered)
> >>and the regulator subsys assumes that when devicetree is used their
> >>is always a compete set of constraints and that thus turning them
> >>off is safe.
> >>
> >>So when I switched to using axp209.dtsi for the bananapro.dts,
> >>and booted the bananapro this is the last message I got from the
> >>kernel while booting:
> >>
> >>[    2.314014] dcdc3: disabling
> >>
> >>And away went our DRAM power-supply, oops.
> >>
> >>So for dcdc2 (CPU) and dcdc3 (DRAM), the boilerplate
> >>should contain reasonable constraints (eg the operating range
> >>from the datasheet)
> >
> >Indeed.
> >
> >>and an always-on property.
> >
> >I disagree. The regulator disabling is a feature, and how the board is
> >wired is, well, up to the board.
>
> And here I was thinking you wanted to reduce the amount of boilerplate
> in our dts files ..

I want to reduce the boilerplate of doing the reasonable thing with
regulators: turning them off if unused.

> IOW I disagree with your disagreeing all boards we know of have dcdc2
> wired to Vcpu and dcdc3 wired to Vddr, so not having this in the dtsi
> will lead to a lot of extra boilerplate in each dts file. We're not
> talking about our main dtsi file here, if we ever encounter a board
> which is wired in a different way, then its dts can simply not use
> axp209.dtsi and instead define the nodes itself, it needs to do that
> anyways if we do include the standard CPU and DDR constrains in the
> dtsi since those will not make sense either in that case.

Ok. Let's do that and see how it turns out then

> >If an always-on property is needed, then it's in the DTS, not in the
> >AXP DTSI.
> >
> >>The ldo-s are trickier, since we simply do not know how those
> >>are used, I think ldo2 is used for Avcc on most boards, so it
> >>too should be always on, since almost any board will have some
> >>analog parts on it (be it the ir receiver, lradc, rtp, lvds, vga,
> >>or analog audio in/out). Assuming that we're willing to assume
> >>that ldo2 is used this way, we should give it matching constraints
> >>and always mark it always-on.
> >
> >Ideally, all the drivers that have a analogic component should have a
> >reference to the regulator they use. But again, at the board
> >level. And more realistically, putting always-on should also happen at
> >the board level.
> >
> >>As for ldo3 - 5 I've no idea when / for what these are used, but
> >>if we do not know it is better to just leave them be then to turn
> >>them off IMHO, so we should remove the nodes for these from axp209.dtsi
> >>
> >>Anyways sorting this all out is going to take some time, so I'm
> >>not going to use axp209.dtsi in dts files for new boards for now.
> >
> >I'm afraid it's an "all or nothing" situation.
>
> No it is not, the PMIC is a mfd, and we can use some of its functions
> fine without actually loading the regulator bits. This is already
> done on most boards with the axp209, even without touching the regulators
> it is nice to have the axp209 mfd driver loaded so that we get support
> for the powerbutton, and support for poweroff, esp. the latter is quite
> nice to have.

Hmmm, good point. We won't enforce the DTSI inclusion as a rule
then.

But I still believe that any DTS defining its regulators should use
the DTSI and a complete regulator description.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com