[RFC] ACPI on arm64 TODO List

Al Stone ahs3 at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 17:21:56 PST 2015

On 01/12/2015 12:39 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2015-01-12 14:41:50, Grant Likely wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, I seen the blog post before the mailing list post, so
>>> here's reply in blog format.
>>>
>>> Grant Likely published article about ACPI and ARM at
>>>
>>> http://www.secretlab.ca/archives/151
>>>
>>> . He acknowledges systems with ACPI are harder to debug, but because
>>> Microsoft says so, we have to use ACPI (basically).
>>
>> Please reread the blog post. Microsoft is a factor, but it is not the
>> primary driver by any means.
>
> Ok, so what is the primary reason? As far as I could tell it is
> "Microsoft wants ACPI" and "hardware people want Microsoft" and
> "fragmentation is bad so we do ACPI" (1) (and maybe "someone at RedHat
> says they want ACPI" -- but RedHat people should really speak for
> themselves.)

I have to say I found this statement fascinating.

I have been seconded to Linaro from Red Hat for over two years now,
working on getting ACPI running, first as a prototype on an ARMv7 box,
then on ARMv8.  I have been working with Grant since very early on when
some of us first started talking about ARM servers in the enterprise
market, and what sorts of standards, if any, would be needed to build an
ecosystem.

This is the first time in at least two years that I have had someone
ask for Red Hat to speak up about ACPI on ARM servers; it's usually
quite the opposite, as in "will you Red Hat folks please shut up about
this already?" :).

For all the reasons Grant has already mentioned, my Customers need to
have ACPI on ARM servers for them to be successful in their business.
I view my job as providing what my Customers need to be successful.
So, here I am.  I want ACPI on ARMv8 for my Customers.

> You snipped quite a lot of reasons why ACPI is inferior that were
> below this line in email.
>
> 									Pavel
>
> (1) ignoring fact that it causes fragmentation between servers and phones.

I see this very differently.  This is a "fact" only when viewed from
the perspective of having two different technologies that can do very
similar things.

In my opinion, the issue is that these are two very, very different
markets; technologies are only relevant as the tools to be used to be
successful in those markets.

Just on a surface level, phones are expected to be completely replaced
every 18 months or less -- new hardware, new version of the OS, new
everything. That's the driving force in the market.

A server does not change that quickly; it is probable that the hardware
will change, but it is unlikely to change at that speed.  It can take
18 months just for some of the certification testing needed for new
hardware or software.  Further, everything from the kernel on up is
expected to be stable for a long time -- as long as 25 years, in some
cases I have worked on.  "New" can be a bad word in this environment.

Best I can tell, I need different tool sets to do well in each of these
environments -- one that allows me to move quickly for phones, and one
that allows me to carefully control change for servers.  I personally
don't see that as fragmentation, but as using the right tool for the
job.  If I'm building a phone, I want the speed and flexibility of DT.
If I'm building a server, I want the long term stability of ACPI.

--
ciao,
al
ahs3 at redhat.com