[RFC] ARM: Make CPU_DCACHE_DISABLE depend on !SMP

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Jan 8 14:10:47 PST 2015

On Thursday 08 January 2015 13:54:29 Gregory Fong wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> What about platforms where exclusives to strongly ordered memory do work?
> >
> > Do we have a comprehensive list of these platforms?
>
> I haven't had a chance to go through all of the TRMs, but section
> A3.4.5 of the ARMv7-A ARM says:
>
> "It is IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED whether LDREX and STREX operations can
> be performed to a memory region
> with the Device or Strongly-ordered memory attribute. Unless the
> implementation documentation explicitly
> states that LDREX and STREX operations to a memory region with the
> Device or Strongly-ordered attribute are
> permitted, the effect of such operations is UNPREDICTABLE ."
>
> From 6.4.5 "Synchronization primitives" in the Cortex-A15 TRM:
>
> "Use of synchronization primitives on addresses in regions marked as
> Strongly-ordered or
> Device is UNPREDICTABLE in the ARMv7-A Architecture. Code that makes
> such accesses
> is not portable."
>
> It looks like this is not generally permissible for ARMv7, maybe
> someone else can check the other versions.  Perhaps it would make
> sense to disallow disabling the D-cache for !SMP in general and
> special-case those architectures which do support exclusives to
> strongly ordered memory.

Too many negations, I assume you meant on SMP rather than !SMP.

My guess is that any implementation that has working LDREX/STREX
on uncached memory does not support SMP, because these instructions
tend to be implemented through the cache coherency logic on SMP
systems but could be implemented more easily without a dcache
on uniprocessor cores.

	Arnd