Delays, clocks, timers, hrtimers, etc

Mason mpeg.blue at free.fr
Mon Feb 9 14:31:50 PST 2015

Stephen Boyd wrote:

> Mason wrote:
>
>> config HAVE_ARM_TWD
>>    bool
>>    depends on SMP
>>    select CLKSRC_OF if OF
>>    help
>>      This options enables support for the ARM timer and watchdog unit
>>
>> One problem I see is that HAVE_ARM_TWD depends on SMP...
>>
>> One of the systems I want to support is UP (single-core Cortex A9).
>> Does that mean I should use an SMP kernel even for that system?
>> Or is there a different subsystem for UP systems?
>
> I don't see any problem with the TWD dropping the dependency on SMP. The
> code should work the same on a UP configuration and if that's the only
> timer you have that can deliver interrupts to your processor then it
> would be required. You'd still need a clocksource though, which the TWD
> doesn't provide.

I want to use as much mainlined code as possible. Thus, this means
(if my reasoning is not flawed) that I should use standard ARM
"services" (can't think of a better term) for which code is already
available in the kernel.

As for clock events, IIUC, I can choose either TWD or the global
timer (with a slight advantage to TWD). Are there other options?

(I probably have some platform-specific infrastructure available,
but I'm asking about standard support.)

My platform provides a 32-bit counter, ticking at a constant 27 MHz.
Reading this counter has a latency of roughly 70 ns (it has to go
over the system memory bus). I think this is good enough for both
the clock source and sched_clock, is it not?

So the plan would be:
- clocksource and sched_clock : 27 MHz, 32-bit counter, platform
- clockevents : TWD, standard

Regards.

For my own reference
http://elinux.org/Kernel_Timer_Systems