Delays, clocks, timers, hrtimers, etc

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat Feb 7 01:51:35 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 06:21:37PM -0800, Mason wrote:
> Also, reading arch/arm/kernel/smp_twd.c, I see that frequency changes
> due to cpufreq are properly accounted for. (Although I imagine they do
> introduce a small error in time-keeping because moving from freq_A to
> freq_B is not instantaneous, so the exact time elapsed in-between is
> impossible to determine.)

TWD is not used for time keeping as such.  As I explained in one of my
previous emails, local timers are used to signal events.

The active clocksource is used to determine the passing of time-of-day,
and sched_clock is used to account for process time by the scheduler.

An early/late/missed local timer interrupt has no impact on time keeping.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.