Delays, clocks, timers, hrtimers, etc

Stefan Agner stefan at agner.ch
Fri Feb 6 12:25:44 PST 2015

On 2015-01-28 14:16, Mason wrote:
> [...]
>
> Also, is the update of loops_per_jiffy atomic? Is it possible that
> if one core reads it while another updates it, we get garbage?
>
> I suppose this is one reason why the default functions are overridden
> by register_current_timer_delay(&arch_delay_timer) right? I think the
> property of a timer is that its frequency doesn't change, even if the
> CPU's frequency changes? So we are still busy looping, but we are
> checking the actual time spent in the loop, whatever the cpufreq?
>
> Reference
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/timers/timers-howto.txt
>

> Q2. Cortex A9 global and private timers
>
> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0407f/CIHGECHJ.html
>
> (What are private timers used for?)
>
> In my platform-specific code, there is a config option to choose between
>
> 1) the ARM global timer
> 2) a platform-specific timer (timer0)
>
> I noticed that there is generic code to support the global timer in
> drivers/clocksource/arm_global_timer.c
>
> config ARM_GLOBAL_TIMER
> bool
> select CLKSRC_OF if OF
> help
>   This options enables support for the ARM global timer unit
>
> config CLKSRC_ARM_GLOBAL_TIMER_SCHED_CLOCK
> bool
> depends on ARM_GLOBAL_TIMER
> default y
> help
>  Use ARM global timer clock source as sched_clock
>
> I was thinking it would be better to use the "standard" option (ARM
> global timer)
> as it is "officially" supported in the vanilla kernel. So less code to write and
> to debug, and it has likely received more testing. Why would one rely on
> platform-specific timers then?
>
> Are high-resolution timers supported with the global timer?
>

> Q3. Using the generic global timer implementation
>
> So, how do I use that implementation?
> (Is someone other than STMicro using it?)
>
> I see:
>
> static void __init global_timer_of_register(struct device_node *np)
> CLOCKSOURCE_OF_DECLARE(arm_gt, "arm,cortex-a9-global-timer",
> global_timer_of_register);
>
> OF stands for open firmware, yes?
> So is this related to device tree?
>
> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/global_timer.txt
>
> This file makes no sense to me.
>
> - interrupts : One interrupt to each core
> interrupts = <1 13 0xf01>;
> what are 1 13 0xf01 ??
>
> - clocks : Should be phandle to a clock.
> clocks = <&arm_periph_clk>;
>
> For my (old) 3.14 kernel, I found this:
>
>     /*
>      * ARM Peripheral clock for timers
>      */
>     arm_periph_clk: arm_periph_clk {
>       #clock-cells = <0>;
>       compatible = "fixed-clock";
>       clock-frequency = <600000000>;
>     };
>
> But it looks like the definitions have moved around since then?

Hi Mason,

Just recently I added support of ARM global timer as clocksource for
Vybrid SoC. This SoC doesn't use cpufreq, hence it is safe to use the
ARM global timer. The nice thing of device tree is, the patch to add
support for that did not change a single line of code:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1794460

--
Stefan