Continuing kallsyms failures - large kernels, XIP kernels, and large XIP kernels

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Fri Feb 6 06:25:30 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 12:22:53AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:29:30PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > +#ifdef CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL
> > > +/*
> > > + * __data_loc is not only the LMA of the data section, but also the VMA of
> > > + * the end of the .rodata section.  This must not overlap the VMA of the
> > > + * data section.  Since the .text section starts in module space, and that
> > > + * is always below the .data section, this should be sufficient.
> > > + */
> > > +ASSERT((_data >= __data_loc), "Text section oversize")
> > > +#endif
> >
> > I agree with this patch.
> >
> > Acked-by: Nicolas Pitre <nico at linaro.org>
> >
> > This might not prevent a config leading to this from happening, but at
> > least it makes the issue much clearer.  XIP kernel was created for
> > systems where the total amount of RAM is often smaller than the imposed
> > size limit here.
>
> Yes, I expect more of Arnd's randconfigs to fail with this patch applied.
>
> I did also notice that we still have swapper_pg_dir at _data - 0x4000
> for XIP kernels - so the above check is slightly too lenient.  A better
> threshold for __data_loc might be MODULES_END, since we can't allow the
> XIP part to overlap into RAM.
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_HIGHMEM
> #define MODULES_END             (PAGE_OFFSET - PMD_SIZE)
> #else
> #define MODULES_END             (PAGE_OFFSET)
> #endif
BTW, on no-MMU MODULES_END is defined as

	#define END_MEM                 (UL(CONFIG_DRAM_BASE) + CONFIG_DRAM_SIZE)
	#define MODULES_END             (END_MEM)

I'd like to get rid of CONFIG_DRAM_SIZE because it's stupid to have that
fixed in .config. MODULES_END is hardly used on no-MMU apart from
printing the (IIRC wrong) memory layout during boot.

If we define END_MEM to 0xffffffff on no-MMU this should effectively nop
the assertion which at least prevents false positives?!

Best regards
Uwe