[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFCv3 2/2] dma-buf: add helpers for sharing attacher constraints with dma-parms

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 08:58:29 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 05:12:40PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2015 15:54:04 Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 04:31:13PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > The dma_map_* interfaces assign the virtual addresses internally,
> > > using typically either a global address space for all devices, or one
> > > address space per device.
> >
> > We shouldn't be doing one address space per device for precisely this
> > reason.  We should be doing one address space per *bus*.  I did have
> > a nice diagram to illustrate the point in my previous email, but I
> > deleted it, I wish I hadn't... briefly:
> >
> > Fig. 1.
> >                                                  +------------------+
> >                                                  |+-----+  device   |
> > CPU--L1cache--L2cache--Memory--SysMMU---<iobus>----IOMMU-->         |
> >                                                  |+-----+           |
> >                                                  +------------------+
> >
> > Fig.1 represents what I'd call the "GPU" issue that we're talking about
> > in this thread.
> >
> > Fig. 2.
> > CPU--L1cache--L2cache--Memory--SysMMU---<iobus>--IOMMU--device
> >
> > The DMA API should be responsible (at the very least) for everything on
> > the left of "<iobus>" in and should be providing a dma_addr_t which is
> > representative of what the device (in Fig.1) as a whole sees.  That's
> > the "system" part.
> >
> > I believe this is the approach which is taken by x86 and similar platforms,
> > simply because they tend not to have an IOMMU on individual devices (and
> > if they did, eg, on a PCI card, it's clearly the responsibility of the
> > device driver.)
> >
> > Whether the DMA API also handles the IOMMU in Fig.1 or 2 is questionable.
> > For fig.2, it is entirely possible that the same device could appear
> > without an IOMMU, and in that scenario, you would want the IOMMU to be
> > handled transparently.
> >
> > However, by doing so for everything, you run into exactly the problem
> > which is being discussed here - the need to separate out the cache
> > coherency from the IOMMU aspects.  You probably also have a setup very
> > similar to fig.1 (which is certainly true of Vivante GPUs.)
> >
> > If you have the need to separately control both, then using the DMA API
> > to encapsulate both does not make sense - at which point, the DMA API
> > should be responsible for the minimum only - in other words, everything
> > to the left of <iobus> (so including the system MMU.)  The control of
> > the device IOMMU should be the responsibility of device driver in this
> > case.
> >
> > So, dma_map_sg() would be responsible for dealing with the CPU cache
> > coherency issues, and setting up the system MMU.  dma_sync_*() would
> > be responsible for the CPU cache coherency issues, and dma_unmap_sg()
> > would (again) deal with the CPU cache and tear down the system MMU
> > mappings.
> >
> > Meanwhile, the device driver has ultimate control over its IOMMU, the
> > creation and destruction of mappings and context switches at the
> > appropriate times.

> [...]

Okay, but switching contexts is not something which the DMA API has
any knowledge of (so it can't know which context to associate with
which mapping.)  While it knows which device, it has no knowledge
(nor is there any way for it to gain knowledge) about contexts.

My personal view is that extending the DMA API in this way feels quite
dirty - it's a violation of the DMA API design, which is to (a) demark
the buffer ownership between CPU and DMA agent, and (b) to translate
buffer locations into a cookie which device drivers can use to instruct
their device to access that memory.  To see why, consider... that you
map a buffer to a device in context A, and then you switch to context B,
which means the dma_addr_t given previously is no longer valid.  You
then try to unmap it... which is normally done using the (now no longer
valid) dma_addr_t.

It seems to me that to support this at DMA API level, we would need to
completely revamp the DMA API, which IMHO isn't going to be nice.  (It
would mean that we end up with three APIs - the original PCI DMA API,
the existing DMA API, and some new DMA API.)

Do we have any views on how common this feature is?

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.