can: flexcan: Ancient Freescale Reference FlexCAN Driver and bug fixes so it works.

Tom Evans tom_usenet at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 10 14:53:27 PST 2015

On 10/12/2015 11:44 PM, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 12/10/2015 12:44 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
>> I've just had to delve back into the deep murky past and try to get
>> Freescale's Kernel 2.6.35 FlexCAN driver working...

On an i.MX53. That's the last supported kernel Freescale ever released
for that series of parts.

> 2.6.x I feel your pain. Another option would be to port the flexcan
> driver to that old kernel. But I'm getting off topic here :)

Been there. Options are to port 2.6.38 (Freescale's Android release)
which has the 2.6.38 mainstream driver, but looks to have a full
collection of all the bugs fixed since then. Some kind soul has already
done that and released a patch (but I don't like the bugs). Or the 3.4
version we're running with our 3.4 kernel or something more modern. I
don't trust later versions to even compile - the headers and interfaces
change. Then I can't use modern ones anyway as they use NAPI and that
simply doesn't work with Linux and CAN. So I'd have to apply all my
de-NAPI patches. The simplest path was to fix the simple and stupidly
obvious bugs in the existing driver rather than add new complicated bugs.

>> 2 - It can't receive in order, but you'd only need to sort on the
>> 3 - It can't transmit in order either (unless you drop it to one
>
> In order reception is crucial.

So what mind-set at Freescale doesn't see this as a problem? I suspect
their CAN knowledge stopped at the HCS08 stage, making tiny devices that
control just one thing, like a door lock. So just receive and transmit
one or two messages where "priority order" is more important than
running any debug or diagnostic protocols.

>> Patches to fix all of it on the end of this thread:
>>
>> https://community.freescale.com/thread/303271
>
> If there's interest in working with this prehistoric kernel, why isn't
> there anyone that picks up all the patches and add them to a git repo.

There was. That's what the above post is meant to be for. But the last
actual activity was in January 2013. It details how to submit patches,
but it is too onerous for me. It has to use their exact complete
distribution (of everything, not just the kernel) running on their exact
development board. It also needs your .gitconfig set up "just so"
matching your Freescale registration details. I'm using the thread as a
dumping ground for "useful patches for customers", and hope google or
Freescale's search can find them.

> fsl doesn't seem to care either, maybe unless you're using
 > their newest product :(

The team seems to disappear almost before the product is released. They
all moved to i.MX6 years ago.

Tom