arm64 boot requirements

Christopher Covington cov at codeaurora.org
Tue Dec 1 14:09:18 PST 2015

On 12/01/2015 06:52 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 1 December 2015 at 12:02, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:45:18PM +1100, Carl van Schaik wrote:
>>> In commit bd00cd5f8c8c3c282bb1e1eac6a6679a4f808091, the idmap_pg_dir
>>> and swapper_pg_dir where moved from before the kernel to after it.
>>>
>>> The problem is that these symbols fall outside the range covered by
>>> the ELF file - outside of any section.
>>>
>>> A bootloader which loads the kernel ELF file and dynamically
>>> determines where to place the DTB, may try place it after the
>>> kernel. We've just run into this problem and the DTB gets
>>> overwritten as soon as the pagetables are created.
>
> Could you explain why you are using the ELF file and not the binary image file?
> This is not future proof: currently, the Image is a straight binary
> objcopy of vmlinux, but that is not guaranteed to remain that way.
> Things like KASLR may require post build steps that mangle vmlinux or
> Image afterwards.
>

>> We had similar issues with the BSS when booting Image files prior to
>> this and commit a2c1d73b94ed49f5 ("arm64: Update the Image header").
>> Since then, the image_size field in the Image header tells you how much
>> memory the kernel may clobber (including the BSS and page tables).
>>
>> Prior to that, the page tables were below the kernel, and also not
>> described in any ELF section.
>>
>> Others booting the kernel vmlinux haven't reported similar issues, so I
>> assume that either they are parsing the Image header, or getting lucky.
>> Parsing the header is necessary to get the correct text offset, too...
>>
>> Pratyush, Geoff, I understood you were loading the kernel vmlinux for
>> kexec. Do you parse the Image header to figure out where to place
>> things?
>>
>>> I'd suggest that the kernel either:
>>>  A. document this boot requirement for where not to load a DTB
>>
>> Do you have any particular suggestion?
>>
>> We already describe the Image footprint (including BSS and page tables)
>> by the image_size in the Image header, which is sufficient. The size of
>> the BSS and page tables is effectively unbound, so we can't define some
>> upper bound that will always be true.
>>
>> The documentation is written on the assumption that an Image file is
>> being used rather than a vmlinux. Perhaps that is something to consider.
>>
>>>  B. update the vmlinux.lds.S such that these symbols (and _end) are
>>> properly covered by a section in the ELF, and thus preventing this
>>> issue.
>>
>> I'm worried that this only solves this one case, and it means that there
>> are two (potentially conflicting) sources of information that a
>> bootloader might be using -- the ELF or the Image header. I don't want
>> to have to duplicate text_offset and so on, which implies that parsing
>> the Image header is necessary anyway.
>>
>> That's something we can discuss if you send a patch (inline rather than
>> attached).

> [...]

I find `readelf -a | less` quite handy. Is there anything comparable for
the AArch64 Image format?

Please forgive my ignorance, but is the EFI stub another possible source
for sort of information?

Thanks,
Christopher Covington

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora