3.18: lockdep problems in cpufreq

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Aug 13 01:17:44 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 03:20:35AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 06:03:57 PM Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > > This should go in through the thermal tree.  Eduardo?
> >
> > Having waited a long time for any kind of response from Eduardo, I've
> > given up.  My conclusion is that Eduardo isn't interested in this.
> >
> > I've re-checked, and the AB-BA deadlock is still there in the latest
> > code.  So, I've taken it upon myself to throw this into my for-next
> > branch to force the issue - not something I _want_ to do, but I'm doing
> > this out of frustration.  It's clear to me that "playing nice" by email
> > does _not_ work with some people.
> >
> > I'm rather hoping that Stephen reports a merge conflict with linux-next
> > this evening to highlight this situation.  I've added additional commentry
> > to the commit message on the patch giving the reason why I've done this,
> > and the relevant message IDs showing the past history.
> >
> > I've not decided whether I'm going to ask Linus to take this patch
> > directly or not, that rather depends whether there's any co-operation
> > from Eduardo on this.  I'd rather Eduardo took the patch.
> >
> > The patch I have has had to be updated again for changes to the driver,
> > but I really don't see the point of re-posting it just for it to be
> > ignored yet again.
> >
> > I'm really disappointed by this dysfunctional state of affairs, and
> > that what should be an urgent fix for an observable problem is still
> > not merged some nine months after it was first identified.
>
> I guess it might help if you sent the updated patch in a new thread.

That I doubt.  Eduardo has not bothered to reply at _any_ time.  I
have to question whether there is anyone even reading that email
address, or whether it's a redirect to /dev/null.  All the evidence I
have right now is that this Eduardo is a ficticous character.

I would have at least expected some complaints when I said "I've put
it in linux-next" but... absolutely nothing.

So... my only conclusion is that you're all pulling my leg that there
_is_ this "Eduardo" maintainer who's supposed to be taking patches for
this stuff.

As I've said, I'm not bothering with this anymore, it's just far too
much effort to play these stupid games.  The deadlock can stay for all
I care.

Sorry.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.