3.18: lockdep problems in cpufreq

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Aug 11 10:03:57 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:05:55AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday, May 18, 2015 07:56:45 PM Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 09:11:53AM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> > >
> > > We need two separate patches now, one for 3.18 and other one for 3.19-rc.
> > > 3.19 has see lots of changes in this particular file and so we need to
> > > change few things here.
> >
> > What happened with this?  I'm still carrying the patch.
>
> This should go in through the thermal tree.  Eduardo?

Having waited a long time for any kind of response from Eduardo, I've
given up.  My conclusion is that Eduardo isn't interested in this.

I've re-checked, and the AB-BA deadlock is still there in the latest
code.  So, I've taken it upon myself to throw this into my for-next
branch to force the issue - not something I _want_ to do, but I'm doing
this out of frustration.  It's clear to me that "playing nice" by email
does _not_ work with some people.

I'm rather hoping that Stephen reports a merge conflict with linux-next
this evening to highlight this situation.  I've added additional commentry
to the commit message on the patch giving the reason why I've done this,
and the relevant message IDs showing the past history.

I've not decided whether I'm going to ask Linus to take this patch
directly or not, that rather depends whether there's any co-operation
from Eduardo on this.  I'd rather Eduardo took the patch.

The patch I have has had to be updated again for changes to the driver,
but I really don't see the point of re-posting it just for it to be
ignored yet again.

I'm really disappointed by this dysfunctional state of affairs, and
that what should be an urgent fix for an observable problem is still
not merged some nine months after it was first identified.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 10.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.