ARM errata 430973 on multi platform kernels

Ivaylo Dimitrov ivo.g.dimitrov.75 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:47:07 PDT 2015

Hi,

> We should first verify the same bug happens with armel also.
> I just verified the CPU load in the background makes armhf
> apps segfault without $subject workaround enabled.
>
> If the segfaulting does not happen with armel, then chances
> it's some kind of neon related issue and the fix can be more
> targeted.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

I can assure you that at least SoC in N900 is affected by ARM errata
430973, no matter armel or armhf. Though the crash is usually with
SIGILL(because of the wrong T bit in CPSR the code is executed with), I
don't remember seeing SIGSEGV, but that could be my ageing memory. I am
the maintainer of the so-called cssu-thumb Fremantle upgrade [1], which
is armel, thumb2 compiled, so I have some experience with the matter  :)
. Without that errata workaround enabled in kernel, it is impossible to
boot Fremantle with cssu-thumb on top. BTW it was the same back in the
days when there was Ubuntu 12.04 for N900 - it was hardfp, thumb2
compiled. Again, without that errata workaround enabled, there was no
way to boot it.

Regards,
Ivo

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84829