Code generation involving __raw_readl and __raw_writel

Mason mpeg.blue at free.fr
Thu Nov 27 06:51:55 PST 2014

Arnd,

First of all, thanks (a lot) for your highly informative replies!

On 27/11/2014 14:12, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Thursday 27 November 2014 14:01:41 Mason wrote:
>
>> #define gbus_read_reg32(r)      __raw_readl((volatile void __iomem *)IO_ADDRESS(r))
>> #define gbus_write_reg32(r, v)  __raw_writel(v, (volatile void __iomem *)IO_ADDRESS(r))
>
> Right, that's how things used to be done a while ago.

So, IIUC, old code used to call __raw_readl directly, but modern
code is supposed to call either readl or readl_relaxed?

(BTW, the original code is 4-5 years old, while my target is 3.14.x)

>>> use of_iomap or devm_ioremap_resource to get to the pointer for
>>> a device, don't just hardcode virtual addresses.
>>
>> About that. If nothing had been done, 0xf0010024 would be an
>> invalid virtual address, and reading from that address would
>> generate a TLB miss, right? So something must have configured
>> the TLB to accept and translate this address correctly.
>>
>> I'm looking for an iomap or ioremap call, right?
>
> The IO_ADDRESS() macro on this platform is probably defined to
> match a address range that is set up from a map_io callback in
> the platform.

#define __IO_START 0xf0000000
#define __IO_SIZE  SZ_8M
#define __IO_END   (__IO_START + __IO_SIZE)
#define IO_ADDRESS(x) (__IO_START +(x))

static struct map_desc hw_io_desc[] __initdata = {
	{
		.virtual	= SCU_VIRT_BASE_ADDR,
		.pfn		=__phys_to_pfn(SCU_BASE_ADDR),
		.length		= SZ_2M,
		.type 		= MT_DEVICE,
	},
	{
		.virtual	= IO_ADDRESS(0),
		.pfn		=__phys_to_pfn(0),
		.length		= SZ_8M,
		.type 		= MT_DEVICE,
	},
};

   iotable_init(hw_io_desc, ARRAY_SIZE(tangox_87xx_io_desc));

I'll take a much closer look at iotable_init, but I suppose it is
this function that sets up the TLB? As far as I can see, it is not
optimal to map 8 MB, because that will take up 8 entries in the TLB,
whereas 16 MB would take only one (in theory).

> On new platforms, you can't do that because the mach/*.h header
> files are inaccessible to drivers, so you have to use ioremap.

What do you mean by new platforms?

Indeed, the IO_* macros given above are defined in
arch/arm/mach-tangox/include/mach/io.h

But my 3.14 driver does see the header.

>> I'm asking because I have an idea in mind: on the bus, the first
>> 16 MB contains only memory-mapped registers, so I've been thinking
>> I can map this region at init, and keep it for the lifetime of the
>> system. It would use only one entry in the TLB, since the CPU
>> supports 16 MB super-sections (or whatever they are called).
>>
>> I could even lock that entry in the TLB so that these accesses
>> are guaranteed to never TLB miss, right?
>
> The map_io callback will set up a mapping like that, and when
> a driver calls ioremap on the same physical address, you will
> get the correct pointer using that TLB, you just don't communicate
> the address through a pointer any more.

IIUC, you're saying the current method using iotable_init is not
appropriate, and I should use the map_io callback?

Regards. (And thanks again)