For the problem when using swiotlb

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Tue Nov 25 04:23:02 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:29:05AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 10:58:15AM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > Since we don't have a coherent_dma_supported() function, we defer the
> > validity check of coherent_dma_mask to dma_alloc_coherent() (and here we
> > can remove bouncing since swiotlb has relatively small buffers).
>
> Bouncing of coherent DMA buffers is insane; if you have to bounce them,
> they're by definition not coherent.

"Bouncing" is not a proper term here. What I meant is not using the
swiotlb bounce buffers for the dma_alloc_coherent(). The
swiotlb_alloc_coherent() allows this but it doesn't do any
copying/bouncing in such scenario (it would not make sense, as you said
below).

> Think about one of the common uses of coherent DMA buffers: ring buffers,
> where both the CPU and the DMA agent write to the ring:
>
> - CPU writes to ring, loading address and length, then writing to the
>   status word for the ring entry.
> - DMA reads the ring status word, sees it owns the entry, processes it,
>   DMA writes to the ring status word to give it back.
>
> What this means is that if you are bouncing the buffer, you are copying
> it whole-sale between the CPU visible version and the DMA visible
> version, which means that you can miss DMA updates to it.  So, bouncing
> a coherent DMA buffer is simply not an acceptable implementation for
> dma_alloc_coherent().

I agree, not arguing against this.

> As for validity of masks, it is defined in the DMA API documentation that
> if a DMA mask is suitable for the streaming APIs, then it is also suitable
> for the coherent APIs.  The reverse is left open, and so may not
> necessarily be true.
>
> In other words:
>
> 	err = dma_set_mask(dev, mask);
> 	if (err == 0)
> 		assert(dma_set_coherent_mask(dev, mask) == 0);
>
> must always succeed, but reversing the two calls has no guarantee.

That would succeed on arm64 currently.

The problem is that swiotlb bounce buffers allow for smaller than 32-bit
dma_mask for streaming DMA since it can do bouncing. With coherent
allocations, we could allow the same smaller than 32-bit
coherent_dma_mask, however allocations may fail since they fall back to
the swiotlb reserved buffer which is relatively small.

What I want to avoid is threads like this where people ask for bigger
swiotlb buffers for coherent allocations most likely because they do the
wrong thing with their dma masks (or dma-ranges property). If the arm64
dma_alloc_coherent() code avoids calling swiotlb_alloc_coherent() and
just limits itself to ZONE_DMA, we make it clear that the swiotlb
buffers are only used for streaming DMA (bouncing).

Once we avoid swiotlb buffers for coherent DMA, the problem is that even
though your assertion above would pass, dma_alloc_coherent() may fail if
coherent_dma_mask is smaller than the end of ZONE_DMA (and pfn offsets
considered). Basically breaking the assumption that you mentioned above
with regards to coherent_dma_mask suitability.

I think the best we can get is for dma_supported() to ignore
swiotlb_dma_supported() and simply check for ZONE_DMA (similar to the
arm32 one). We guarantee that swiotlb bounce buffers are within ZONE_DMA
already, so no need for calling swiotlb_dma_supported(). If we ever have
devices with smaller than 32-bit mask on arm64, we will have to reduce
ZONE_DMA.

> Note that there seems to be only one driver which has different coherent
> and streaming DMA masks today:
>
> drivers/media/pci/sta2x11/sta2x11_vip.c:
>         if (dma_set_mask(&pdev->dev, DMA_BIT_MASK(26))) {
>         err = dma_set_coherent_mask(&vip->pdev->dev, DMA_BIT_MASK(29));

This would work if we have a ZONE_DMA of 29-bit while the swiotlb bounce
buffer within 26-bit. If we go with the above ZONE_DMA only check, we
would need ZONE_DMA of 26-bit.

--
Catalin