[GIT PULL] Renesas ARM Based SoC Koelsch Board Removal Updates for v3.19

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Wed Nov 19 16:40:03 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:06:43PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2014, Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
> >
> > Please consider these Renesas ARM based SoC koelsch board removal updates for v3.19.
> >
> > This pull request is based on a merge of:
> >
> > * "Renesas ARM Based SoC DT DU Updates for v3.19",
> >   tagged as renesas-dt-du-for-v3.19.
> >
> > * "Renesas ARM Based SoC DT Cleanups Updates for v3.19",
> >   tagged as renesas-dt-cleanups-for-v3.19.
> >
> > Both of which I have also sent a pull-request for.
> >

> > The following changes since commit 11886d1158e0dc123283891b662381f629ab47a0:
> >
> >   Merge tag 'renesas-dt-cleanups-for-v3.19' into koelsch-board-removal-for-v3.19.base (2014-10-30 10:14:38 +0900)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-koelsch-board-removal-for-v3.19
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 79e69d179cb3391040a3693fca8bc12ec03c05fc:
> >
> >   ARM: shmobile: koelsch dts: Drop console= bootargs parameter (2014-10-30 10:18:31 +0900)

> > Renesas ARM Based SoC Koelsch Board Removal Updates for v3.19
> >
> > * Remove lecacy C koelsh board support
>
> I've tried merging this one in two ways, but I'm not too happy about either one:
>
> - we could put it into next/boards, but I don't think there will be anything
>   else in that branch and I was considering not to have one at all.
>
> - it would also fit into next/cleanup, but then we already have
>   renesas-dt-cleanups-for-v3.19 categorized as "next/dt" rather than
>   "next/cleanup". Moving that one into cleanups solves the problem
>   nicely, but it's rather large and my feeling is that Olof's decision
>   to put it into next/dt was better.

My assumption was that it is reasonable to base something on a cleanup
and that as the other base for this is next/dt the this pull request
would also end up in next/dt.

> I think you are trying too hard to avoid merge conflicts, as I can't see any
> true dependency on renesas-dt-cleanups-for-v3.19, and I'd be happier if
> you could rebase it onto renesas-dt-du-for-v3.19 by itself. There is
> a trivial merge conflict that I have to resolve, but it seems more
> sensible that way.
>
> Any other thoughts?

Unfortunately its not quite so simple. The patch

"ARM: shmobile: koelsch dts: Drop console= bootargs parameter"
in renesas-koelsch-board-removal-for-v3.19 depends on
"ARM: shmobile: kzm9g-reference dts: Add chosen/stdout-path"
which is on renesas-dt-cleanups-for-v3.19.

Perhaps it would be better if the latter had not been classified as a
cleanup. On that topic I must say that I find splitting out
some patches as cleanups to not be a very useful classification for me.

A possibility would be to duplicate "ARM: shmobile: kzm9g-reference dts:
Add chosen/stdout-path" in a revised renesas-koelsch-board-removal-for-v3.19.
I believe that would leave us with only a trivial conflict in
arch/arm/boot/dts/Makefile.