For the problem when using swiotlb

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Nov 19 00:45:43 PST 2014

On Wednesday 19 November 2014 11:17:15 Ding Tianhong wrote:
> On 2014/11/18 2:09, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> >> In general, you should not need to use swiotlb for most devices, in
> >> particular for high-performance devices like network or block.
> >>
> >> Please make sure that you have set up the dma-ranges properties in
> >> your DT properly to allow 64-bit DMA if the device supports it.
> >
> > That's the problem indeed, the DMA API ends up using swiotlb bounce
> > buffers because the physical address of the pages passed to (or
> > allocated by) the driver are beyond 32-bit limit (which is the default
> > dma mask).
> >

> Thanks everyone, I think I found the way to fix it, need to enable DMA_CMA, to reserve a big memory
> for CMA and set coherent mask for dev, then dma_alloc and dma_mapping will not use the swiotlb until
> the memory out of mask or swiotlb_force is enabled.
>
> If I still understand uncorrectly, please inform me.

Please do not use CMA to work around the problem, but fix the underlying bug
instead.

The driver should call 'dma_set_mask_and_coherent()' with the appropriate
dma mask, and check whether that succeeded. However, the code implementing
dma_set_mask_and_coherent on arm64 also needs to be changed to look up
the dma-ranges property (see of_dma_configure()), and check if the mask
is possible.

	Arnd