preferable method for pinctrl driver

Oleksij Rempel linux at rempel-privat.de
Fri Nov 7 00:35:56 PST 2014

Am 13.10.2014 um 11:05 schrieb Linus Walleij:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Oleksij Rempel <linux at rempel-privat.de> wrote:
>
>> Looks like there is at least two pinctrl driver types:
>> - imx23 which makes function description insight of DT;
>> - tegra with function descrption in the source code.
>> which way is preferable?
>
> The Tegra way. The driver should know about all groups
> and functions, the DT should just configure the functions to
> groups relation.
>
> The i.MX driver happened before the DT use for pin controllers
> was thought through.
>
>> Other question, i didn't found exact same HW, do it make sense to merge
>> this driver with existing one? Are there some similarities with this one?:
>> http://pastebin.com/hW82Xupq
>
> No idea, that's very little HW information. However
> silicon vendors often du their I/O cell layout themselves
> so many pin controllers are very unique.
>
> Yours,
> Linus Walleij

Hi,
thank you for your previous response. One more question: how pins should
be numbered? Continuous or register offsets can be used?
Documentations for this soc use pin names encoded like this
#NAME_#BANK_#PIN. Register offset can be calculated by ((bank) * 32 +
(pin) * 4)
In this case i need to have extra array to convert pin number to offset,
or use offset as pin number.
--
Regards,
Oleksij