[RFC] ARM VM System Sepcification

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Sat Mar 22 04:08:37 EDT 2014

Il 22/03/2014 03:29, Christoffer Dall ha scritto:
> 1. Simply mandate that VM implementations support persistent variables
>    for their UEFI implementation - with whatever constraints that may
>    put on higher level tools.
>
> 2. Require that OSes shipped as part of compliant VM images make no
>    assumption that changes to the UEFI environment will be stored.
>
> I feel that option number two will break in all sorts of cases, just
> like Grant stated above, and it is fundamentally not practical; if a
> distribution ships Linux with a UEFI stub that expects to be able to do
> something, distributions must modify Linux to conform to this spec.  I
> think imagining that this spec controls how UEFI support in Linux/Grub
> is done in general would be overreaching.  Additionally, Michael brought
> up the fact that it would be non-UEFI compliant.

OSes are already able to cope with loss of changes to UEFI environment
are stored, because losing persistent variables is what happens if you
copy an image to a new hard disk.

Asking implementations for support of persistent variables is a good
idea; however, independent of what is in the spec, OSes should not
expect that users will enable that support---most of them won't.

Paolo