Problems booting exynos5420 with >1 CPU

Kevin Hilman khilman at linaro.org
Mon Jun 9 13:47:42 PDT 2014

Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre at linaro.org> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Jun 2014, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 12:53:34AM +0100, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> > Lorenzo,
>> >
>> > Since you're emailing from @arm.com, some of this is to the wider
>> > recipient and maybe not directly to you:
>>
>> I am glad to reply and take blame since this is a debate definitely worth
>> having.
>
> Great.  Because I would like to steer this debate a little towards the
> genuine cause rather than sticking to some particular consequences.
>
>> Guys, do not get me wrong here. There are fixes that can be deemed
>> acceptable in an OS, there are fixes that can't. I just can't help thinking
>> that Nicolas' patch is a nasty hack (and I am far, really really far from
>> blaming him for that, because that's the only patch that can fix that
>> issue in the kernel), and he perfectly knows that.
>
> You know what?  The more I think about my patch, the more I consider
> this should be the standard way of setting up things unconditionally on
> _all_ platforms using MCPM.  Why? Because that's the most coherent thing
> to do!

I agree.

> I really think the kernel should either be responsible for the CCI or it
> should not at all.  And conversely for the bootloader.  Right now we
> have an implicit requirement that the bootloader should turn on the CCI,
> but only for cold boot, and only for the boot cluster, and not for CPU
> resuming from idle, and what other case we haven't thought about yet.
> And as noticed this requirement is not documented.

In addition to being a firmware minimalist like Nico, what I find most
objectional to the bootloader approach is that even with CCI enabled by
the firmware, since it's a runtime requirement (for low-power idle or
suspend), the kernel has to handle it anyways.  So you end up with a
partial solution in the firwmare (for boot cluster only) *and* a full
solution in the kernel.  This doesn't make any sense, expecially because
the kernel might then have to do things differently on cold boot
vs. low-power idle/suspend or differently on the boot cluster vs. other
clusters.  From a maintenance PoV, this is a mess and could easily lead
to just as many SoC specific hacks that are different across platforms.

Stated more simply: If the kernel has to manage the resource at runtime
due to low-power idle/suspend.  I don't see any reason why it shouldn't
manage it at cold boot time also.

Kevin