Problems booting exynos5420 with >1 CPU

Kevin Hilman khilman at linaro.org
Mon Jun 9 13:27:51 PDT 2014

Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre at linaro.org> writes:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 2014, Abhilash Kesavan wrote:
>
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> The first man of the incoming cluster enables its snoops via the
>> power_up_setup function. During secondary boot-up, this does not occur
>> for the boot cluster. Hence, I enable the snoops for the boot cluster
>> as a one-time setup from the u-boot prompt. After secondary boot-up
>> there is no modification that I do.
>
> OK that's good.
>
>> Where should this be ideally done ?
>
> If I remember correctly, the CCI can be safely activated only when the
> cache is disabled.  So that means the CCI should ideally be turned on
> for the boot cluster (and *only* for the boot CPU) by the bootloader.
>
> Now... If you _really_ prefer to do it from the kernel to avoid
> difficulties with bootloader updates, then it should be possible to do
> it from the kernel by temporarily turning the cache off.  This is not a
> small thing but the MCPM infrastructure can be leveraged.  Here's what I
> tried on a TC2 which might just work for you as well:

FWIW, I dropped the u-boot hack I was using to enable CCI and tested
this patch (with a cut/paste of the TC2 specific stuff into
mach-exynos/mcpm-exynos.c) along with Doug's patch[1] and
and confirm that all 8 cores boot up on the Chromebook2 using linux-next.

Kevin

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-June/262440.html